Thursday, October 23, 2014

That character's doing what? I ain't buying it.

Hi! It's Lisa again, and I'm having problems believing some things in books. Are you?

Sometimes as I'm reading I come across actions, sometimes often used actions, that I just can't buy. Isn't it actually impossible to clench your hands so hard that your fingernails make your palms bleed? That skin is too tough, isn't it? My hands are pretty darn soft (don't judge, I'm a writer), so it'd be easier for me to do it rather than someone else who does regular labor with his or her hands. But guess what happens when I try. My nerve endings won't let me continue; those little things run to my brain and tattle on me. My brain makes me stop. My fingernails also buckle. If I try really hard, I break the skin, but those darn vessels are just too hard to get to. Also, that wore me out; my finger muscles were screaming at me to let go. I guess I'm just weak...but I type all the time so those little muscles are used regularly. Hm, I don't know. Anyway, to my other point. Let's not forget the melodrama this makes me picture when it's in a story. I'd like to roll my eyes when I read it. Really? So this character is so pissed he's clenching his fists hard enough to make himself bleed? Not buying it, and I'm not totally into this story anymore.

In my opinion, there are only two ways I see this clenching/bleeding actually happening. 1) If a person is having a seizure because the nerve endings are a little bit busy and clenching, and they aren't worrying about telling the brain to unclench. After all, people have been known to bite their tongue until it bleeds, and sometimes all the way off, during a seizure. 2) The second reason has a little to do with the first one: there's brain damage or nerve damage or both. Maybe the pain sensors in your hands have been damaged so clenching until you bleed happens without you knowing. The nerve endings could be working but the brain isn't working so well - brain damage. There is brain damage or a brain disorder, and it can't/won't receive the message to relax the hands.
A character clenching until the skin is broken is a tad bit more believable, though I still have to lift an eyebrow and move on. It's just overdone. Are 99% of the world's population hand-clenchers in moments of stress? No. Then why are 99% of our characters? Do something else.

This goes for biting your lip until it bleeds too. One, like the clenching-hand-cutting-skin deal, it's a bit dramatic. Two, it's overused. However, I will concede that the skin of your lip is much softer, so it's much more believable that making it bleed could happen before your brain makes you stop. And it's much easier if you have dry lips, peeling lips or already-present sores. But it still makes me roll my eyes.

Now, that's my little two cents worth on stuff I just can't swallow. But I'd like to know yours! The reason I decided to write this post is because I came across this in a book again and then started thinking: I probably have some things like this in my books and don't even know it! I need help!

What do you read regularly in books that you just can't swallow?

Dan: Interesting topic, Lisa! As long as we're not talking about self-mutilation (which is a real thing) I'm with you. Having your character's palms bleed is a cheap way to show what he or she is feeling. In my experience, real people who are angry or scared often show less emotion than you'd expect. With anger, it's often subtle things, like using shorter phrases while speaking or not making eye contact.

As long as we're talking pet peeves: personally, I hate it when there's a misunderstanding that could be resolved by a simple open conversation, and that misunderstanding is the core of the book's conflict. Guess what? People talk about stuff that matters to them. Realistic problems tend to be far more complex.

Caitlin: I was totally with you on the hands bleeding (and impressed you went to the lengths to test it out! :) ). As for lip bleeding...um...I have that in one of my books. :( I'll be re-analyzing that soon! I'm with you Dan on the misunderstandings, although I used to enjoy Threes Company. Heh. My pet peeve? I guess it would be when the author deliberately tricks you to no effect via a character's thoughts. I recently read a book where the MC thought he saw Character B. He realized it wasn't him but still shuddered because it would have been like seeing a ghost. The previous fate of Character B is important to the story...so this obviously is a pretty strong hint that Character B is dead. Thing is, he wasn't. And the MC knew that. At the end of the book that ghost comment didn't make any sense at all! Grrr... If a character thinks something, it should make sense he/she'd think that in the context of the story.

Karlie: Great thought, Caitlin!! I'm completely with you there. I also hate it when the hero gets a injury that should have taken weeks to heal, but the next day he's up and going again. I don't care how tough you are, it's gonna take some time to recover from broken ribs/wrist/ankle.

Another personal pet peeve of mine is the "deus ex machina," or that moment when the answer drops out of the sky and hits the character on the head. You know, that warrior that never showed up anywhere else in the book suddenly defeating the bad guy and then disappearing again. Even though it's usually a little more disguised than that, I come across it a lot more than I'd like.

5 comments:

  1. I’ve no idea what this place is or why I got an email on a comment here but uhh.. yeah I agree with you guys.
    But let’s go a step further, there are many, MANY more cheap clichés that act as a pretty big turn-off from the book (or movie, for that matter)

    - A character coming home and find another character sleeping, so he covers the other one, showing he cares about them
    - An untrained rookie suddenly shooting a gun far better than a veteran soldier
    - And I don’t think I’ve ever come in contact with a good-written villain who’s reasons for actions are “ruling the world” or something like that - flat characters are a sickness, characters need to be presented as real people, relatable or at least understandable, with complex emotions, actions and overall real life personalities
    - Training and achieving greatness a lot faster than any realistic expectation (An example of this would be from CHERUB, if I’m not mistaken, the protagonist reached dan second or something along this level within two years of first learning karate; and despise this ridiculous growth, he’s still easily beaten by thugs)

    And as a side note, killing a character will not be emotional unless the reader has really come to connect with this character, a lot of books try to get through those feelings but fail due to the character being not important or close enough to the reader. A good example of a horrific and nerve-wrecking death to take note from would be (for me at least) from The Knife of Never Letting Go

    I’ve no idea what I’m writing here and why, this is a post from 2014, eh.. fuck it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a question. If a person is freaking out(like mental breakdown style) and they clench their fist without realizing it, is it possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes because I know alot about people poling there eyebrows out in the middle of a metal brake down

      Delete
  3. Honestly, It makes sense to me. I don't remeber very many times I've seen it done, but the times I do remember a character clenching their fist to the point of it bleeding, the character was not only feeling an incredibly intense emotion but desprately resisting the desire to act on or even, sometimes, aknowledge that emotion. When trying to fight such an intense emotion, the part of the brain that would normally tell them to stop clenching their fist before they hurt themselfs isn't working and instead that pain is more of a helpful distraction from the emotional stress that they don't want. It gives them something else to focus on until they calm down. So from an emotional standpoint, if it's done like this, it makes sense to me. That said I have no idea whether or not it's actually physcally possible, but I don't find all that hard to believe. Honestly, I like the visual that the character was affected or cared way more about what happened than they let on. Of course just like anything else this can be done poorly.

    I hope this helped you understand why some people might like seeing this.

    ReplyDelete