Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Turn It Up Tuesday: Cough Syrup

Lisa's in the house for Turn It Up this Tuesday, but my song is a downer. Cough Syrup by Young The Giant is a song about children being wronged and there being temporary fixes but the problem doesn't really go away.

Life's too short to even care at all, oh, oh
I'm coming up now, coming up now out of the blue, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
These zombies in the park they're looking for my heart, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
A dark world aches for a splash of the sun, oh, oh


My character is equally wronged, and her problem was put in prison. When her problem is released, her cough syrup loses it's potency. The zombie in the park moves to her house.

Life's too short to even care at all, oh, oh
I'm losing my mind losing my mind losing control


So she chooses to live what's left of her life as crazily as possible, and she gets into trouble. This new trouble only brings her more misery when it hurts the only people left who love her. (Told ya it was a downer.)

So I run now to the things they said could restore me
Restore life the way it should be
I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down


This song perfectly matches so many of my individual scenes in my newest book, not yet named, but it really fits the whole story.

Just so you know, I tend to gravitate to live recordings rather than studio versions. To me there just seems to be more emotion to them.

I hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment